Centers as presented at the September 17, 2015 Gifted Symposium by the Elementary Science team – STEAM Maker Ed Workshop:
How can I use the properties of matter to create a visual art piece?
- Colorful Lather Printing – Create greeting card or name card – Chemistry, hydrophobic and hydrophilic actions, art design. Lesson – shaving cream marbling. State Standards – ShavingCreamLatherPrintingSSS
- K-cup Flashlight – Create a flashlight using used K-cups, battery and LED light – Energy transformations, circuitry, emergency preparedness, engineering, renewable and non-renewable resources. Lesson plan – flashlight. State Standards – Kcup_Flashlight_SSS
- K-cup Seed Starter – Start seeds directly into used coffee grounds or soil – Life science, recycling, rocks and soil, renewable and non-renewable resources, agricultural engineering – State Standards, Lessons and Links – Seed Cups
Can you build a device that can launch a toy the furthest with accuracy?
- Catapult – create your own catapult using craft sticks and plastic spoon – Force and motion, trajectory, velocity, geometry, design.
- Angry Birds and friends pompoms – create your own “ammo” to use in your own catapult – Force and motion, trajectory, velocity, geometry, design. State Standards – Angry Birds Pompoms Standards
- For activities, lessons, etc. on these 2 centers – click here
- Create Pinwheels – Pinwheels for Peace coming up 9/21 – Art, weather, force and motion, social awareness – State Standards, Lessons, and Links – Pinwheels
Template – pinwheeltemplate
- Pinwheels for Peace: Lesson Plan
Can you make something that does something? Can you program a robot to complete a task?
- Robots Exhibition and Exploration – Dot and Dash, Edison, Ollie, Sphero (BB-8), Tetrix, EV3, Little Bits – Robotics, engineering, circuitry, coding, geometry, technology and society. State Standards, and Digital Links – Robotics_Coding_Links
- Sign up for the Hour of Code! The Hour of Code is a one-hour introduction to computer science, designed to demystify code and show that anybody can learn the basics. Check out the tutorials. December 7-13, in celebration of Computer Science Education Week
Can you design and print a new object to solve a problem? How does 3D printing work?